Monday, December 5, 2011

Saying "I Do" & Doing It

The other night I was out with friends and by the end of the night we had made friends with those around us. After chatting for a bit about how we all found ourselves to be in New York it came out that this particular guy was married. My friend and I glanced at his hand, and looked confused to find no ring.

Turns out, this man had been with the same woman for the past 8 years. When we asked why he didn't have a ring on he explained how a ring wasn't as significant in the U.K. as it is in America. Then began the debate over whether it's important to wear a wedding ring in order to let others know. Doesn't a wedding ring set the rules of engagement?

Then he said something that made me think. He said, "Why does it matter? All that matters is that I have eyes for one woman."

What does a wedding ring mean to you? I've been exploring what I thought it meant to me and what it actually means to me. I think asking this question reveals a lot about you, what you think of the person you're with, and your relationship.

1 comment:

Kirsty said...

Weirdly, I agree with the guy--rings don't mean that much. I think that I think this mostly because neither one of my parents wears a ring. My dad has needed to resize his for probably over 15 years and he has just never bothered to, and my mom wears her ring occasionally but usually switches it out with various family rings/colored gem rings/no ring at all. I guess most girls are ~obsessed with The Perfect Ring, but I would honestly be content with a plain band and no diamonds. Some friends of mine just have tattoos around their ring fingers, which is simple and sweet I think. "Diamonds are forever" but jewelry isn't--why let a jewel that can be lost, stolen, broken, etc symbolize a relationship that isn't impervious to those things but that can withstand them better than any piece of gold can? The more I type and am thinking about this, the more I realize that I REALLY don't care about rings haha. One of my best friends recently got a $$HUNK$$ of a ring and I had to fake excitement about it, and I honestly don't even know what kind of rings my married sisters have. This was such an excellent post, Amie.