Monday, April 13, 2009

Water shortage

I love meat. I am a vegetarians worst nightmare by far. In a perfect world, I would frequent Houston's for a filet mignon or french dip sandwich. Or at least in a world where I do not attend college and live off pasta.

However, I am going to rethink my dietary choices after reading a recent article in The Economist.

Us Americans and the Europeans do everything but help the apparently growing water "crisis". It takes about 15,000 liters of water to produce A KILO of beef. Americans and Europeans require 5,000 liters/day. Put this in comparison to Africa and Asia's 2,000 litres/day..although I'm not positive that is entirely their choice.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of CA issued a state of emergency over the water shortage.

I found it funny in a twisted, not very funny at all way. A state of emergency for what? A state of emergency because we might not get the abundance of meat that our democratic free country demands? A state of emergency because we might not get to take that long shower or bath? WHAT exactly is the STATE of our EMERGENCY?

I would say the real emergency is that there are countries with the majority of their population malnourished..not from not having enough meat but from not having any bread. That there still exists homes without running water, people without the luxury of thoughtlessly wasting it.

TO ME, that is a STATE of emergency. An emergency to exist.

No comments: